June 22, 2010

Day 6 and 7

Day 6
On launch we waffled and waited for the clouds. They were thick and 100% coverage. If no competition crew launches the start times can keep being pushed back. I could see it was not going to get better anytime soon and rather than wait all afternoon on the top of the mountain, I was the first to launch, sealing the times. On one hand, I didn't want to ruin a what might be a good day, but on the other I wasn't into sitting on launch for 6 hrs. I think most were relieved. I got a sledder and landed. Only a couple others flew and most packed up for the drive down.

Day 7
Task was set for 100Km via 6 turn points. The weather was so far cooperating. I climbed out above launch but couldn't get much higher. I struggled to get a thousand over and went for the turn point. At the turn point I climbed well and went for the next one. Milco was in front with about 4 others. This was the day I wanted to overtake him and take first in kingpost. I kept an eye on him and watched him get low. I was getting low as well and switched to survival mode. I was maintaining in light ridge lift when I heard Milco call on the radio that he had landed but broke his arm. I scanned the fields ahead of me but could see noone on the ground. I hugged the ridge and pushed ahead, scanning the fields. When I got low I picked a large alfalfa field to land in. I had time for one circle over the power lines before final. I looked strait down and saw Milco's glider in a 15' deep silage pit under the powerlines. I landed under the assumption that a someone had moved it there for some reason. when I got to the site he was laying under the glider holding his right arm and covered in dirt. I couldn't believe that a broken arm was all he had after gliding under hi tension powerlines and flaring into a 15' deep by 20' wide silage pit. Cathy and Rob soon arrived to take him to the hospital and I got both wings packed up before the impending thunderstorm hit. Milco ended up needing surgery and had an overnight stay. I wish I could have stayed long enough to sign his cast.

First overall went to Ross, second to Dave S of USA. I was 7th overall and 2nd in kingpost class.

June 18, 2010

Day 5

We decided to head to vernon mt for a task. We got up there and it was a beautiful veiw but the clouds moved in and when the rain started we called of that mountain early and headed for saddle. A task was called, 50K out and return via 3 turn points. A couple brave souls launched into shade and eventually sunk out. The landing field was windy and jeff took out a keel stinger and a few battons when he struck the windsock on landing. The rest of us held off for sun and launched. I was toward the end of the pack and did a little ridge soaring before climbing out and heading on coarse. I was not high and was not left with a lot of choices. I soared a cliff face for an hour trying to get high enough to tag the first tirn point but couldn't do it. I landed with ross, jon, and rob. Tomorrow isn't looking so good but saturday should be a good task.
Sent wirelessly from my BlackBerry

June 16, 2010

Day 3 and 4

Day 3 was canceled do to weather. Went and sat in the hot tub and sulked.

Day 4 didn't look awsome this morning but the odd blue hole opened up and a task was set. From launch to cherryville, then to vernon, and back to the lz. The lauch was light and there were some iffy launches. I launched toward the end of the pack and by then high cloud had moved in and most lift was shut down. Jeff and Ross made it about 20K toward the first turn point before they got shut down.
Sent wirelessly from my BlackBerry

June 15, 2010

Day 2

A westerly flow on an east site means get off early. We waffled but most got off. A turnpoint was chosen from a list but it turned out it was an unobtainable turn point 20K into unlandable territory making today canceled. I got 25K out and landed in a huge field with Jeff S. Soon after Niel, Steve T, Eric, and Ross joined us. It was a very atractive field.
Sent wirelessly from my BlackBerry

June 14, 2010

Final day Lumby air races, first day Canadian Nationals

We got up onto coopers early, but not early enough. Started blowing down as some were just compleating setting up. I didn't bother pulling mine off the truck. The call was made to head to saddle. When we got up there it was cross and gusty, again I made the call to drive down. From the lz we watched 8 or so gliders launch and have rough scratchy flights. One finaly got up and and made most of the task. He will not score well.
Sent wirelessly from my BlackBerry

June 13, 2010

Day 2

The weather gods smiled on us but it was more of a smirk. It was a tough blue day. You had to work to get any hight. The sky was full of death gaggles. I waited untill things calmed down and launched toward the end. I made it 2 turn points but couldn't quite tag the 3rd. This may sound good untill you realize there was 16 waypoints! The top dog was John M that made goal.
Sent wirelessly from my BlackBerry

June 12, 2010

Day 1 Lumby air races

Forcast looked unstellar, woke up to rain. Noone in a hurry to get up launch. Once up there the wind was verry light and cross. A few pg's launched and sunk out. We pushed the launch window by an hour but we had a perminant shade cloud over us all day. Noone even came close to goal. I sledded down at the end of it with only 2 other hanggliders. Tomorrow looks fantastic.
Sent wirelessly from my BlackBerry