June 15, 2008

Fathers Day is a day to do what father want

Jason and I headed out for another day of towing on this fathers day. The forecast all looked good but wind was forcasted to be every direction depending on the model you looked at but light. It very light when we got there so we set up at the east side. We flipped a quarter to see who would go first and I won. I loaded up and was soon towed up. I flew through some light lift but nothing worth releasing for. On the way back to launch I found a good little thermal and took it up. I have no idea how far because I forgot my gps at home. The picture below is of rattle snake lake from I'm guessing 6 to 7000'

I flew around for a while then thought I'd give Jason a chance at the good flying. With the wind so twitchy I wanted a good look at the sock before committing to my approach. I delayed much to long and did a turn much to low and slow. As I picked up speed on final I was not level and too low. This is the picture entering final.

Between worried about that and watching the sock I misjudged the hight I had and grazed the dirt with a wheel at a high rate of speed. This is a picture of impact.

I quickly gained some hight but that had my heart beating. We call it intermediate syndrome when you think you are better than you actually are. I'm right in the middle of it and these little lessons humble me and bring me back to reality.


Jason got a really good thermal flight and had a blast. Took two tows do to the wind switching out of the east and he got a downwind low tow. With his second tow he released at 1000' over in good lift. He made it to just shy of 6000' and was up a half hour or so. Here he is showing the safe approach...



I got a second tow downwind and couldn't make it stick. Landed at teh other end of the road and got another tow into teh wind. I thought I was in a boomer and released. I was low and it was not a boomer. I drifted in 50 up untill I figured I could make it bach to launch. I was short by 100' but a much better landing. All in all a great day.

No comments: