August 15, 2009

Secluded

In my early teens I had a dream of being a bushman, living off the land and secluded from civilization. That dream went away when I had to pay for things and got a job. From that time in my life I've always enjoyed the back woods and roads less traveled when I have the time.



While sitting in Creston watching the rain I realized I had an extra day to try out the road less traveled. I would take the long way to Kamloops north through Kaslo and Trout lake. I loaded the camping gear and kissed the kids and took off.



The windy lake road was a lot quicker than I remember and I made the ferry just in time. I've only ever been as far as Kaslo up this road and from there everything is new. The "highway" quickly turned to a gravel road with a beautiful river beside it. A quick look at the regulations showed that the Lardau river was closed to all fishing except for two tributary creeks. The first one looked too small so I continued on. The second one, Healy creek, looked good but the regs said above the falls. I drove a long time and never seen any falls. When I found a good camping spot, I set up. It was near a bridge right beside the creek. I was fast setting up my new tent and grabbed the fly rod. The fishing was great.



I found out the new tent I purchased doesn't keep water out too well and had to sleep in a wet sleeping bag.

Sent wirelessly from my BlackBerry

No comments: