July 13, 2009

Creston BC Mt Thompson

I went to Creston for a quick trip. Sarah had some family visiting and she wanted to see them so My plan was to fly in the evenings. Of three days possible I wound up with one flight. The first day was rained out. Second day I was all loaded up on a borrowed truck and before I even started up the mountain road I found that one of the dual tires on the back was flat and all the wheel nuts were loose with one stud broke and the others with some serious wear. I decided to forfeit that day on equipment failure. The last day I hashed a plan with my family to take a picnic supper of pizza to the top of the mountain. We loaded two trucks with people and kids and pizza and headed up.




As I set up I got real nervous realizing that my parents, brother, wife and a dozen kids would be watching, Of all places this was not the time to make a bad call or mistake. I actually lost my appetite and started to worry. As I set up I couldn't help but notice that there could be nothing more perfect about conditions. There was a light trickle of wind straight up the steep launch, no signs of turbulence and an all round nice day. I calmed down, suited up and hooked in, triple checked I was hooked in, and turned the glider around. I took a moment to remember that it had been a while since foot launching last so I went through the motions in my head and cleared my mind.
"CLEAR!!"


Launch was perfect and I was away. The air was not bad but the thermals were small and slow. Close to the trees I could climb a little but the higher I got the slower they got, still I was holding my own. I flew long enough for them to get down and watch me land. I did a few mild wing overs and did a good landing. A great flight and it will be a memorable one with most of my immediate family there. I think next time will be better.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is a nice way to show your family what all the excitment is about, I would love to do the same for my family, and you only did 3 hang checks, I would recomend at least ten with family watching.
cheers
Ross