June 22, 2010

Day 6 and 7

Day 6
On launch we waffled and waited for the clouds. They were thick and 100% coverage. If no competition crew launches the start times can keep being pushed back. I could see it was not going to get better anytime soon and rather than wait all afternoon on the top of the mountain, I was the first to launch, sealing the times. On one hand, I didn't want to ruin a what might be a good day, but on the other I wasn't into sitting on launch for 6 hrs. I think most were relieved. I got a sledder and landed. Only a couple others flew and most packed up for the drive down.

Day 7
Task was set for 100Km via 6 turn points. The weather was so far cooperating. I climbed out above launch but couldn't get much higher. I struggled to get a thousand over and went for the turn point. At the turn point I climbed well and went for the next one. Milco was in front with about 4 others. This was the day I wanted to overtake him and take first in kingpost. I kept an eye on him and watched him get low. I was getting low as well and switched to survival mode. I was maintaining in light ridge lift when I heard Milco call on the radio that he had landed but broke his arm. I scanned the fields ahead of me but could see noone on the ground. I hugged the ridge and pushed ahead, scanning the fields. When I got low I picked a large alfalfa field to land in. I had time for one circle over the power lines before final. I looked strait down and saw Milco's glider in a 15' deep silage pit under the powerlines. I landed under the assumption that a someone had moved it there for some reason. when I got to the site he was laying under the glider holding his right arm and covered in dirt. I couldn't believe that a broken arm was all he had after gliding under hi tension powerlines and flaring into a 15' deep by 20' wide silage pit. Cathy and Rob soon arrived to take him to the hospital and I got both wings packed up before the impending thunderstorm hit. Milco ended up needing surgery and had an overnight stay. I wish I could have stayed long enough to sign his cast.

First overall went to Ross, second to Dave S of USA. I was 7th overall and 2nd in kingpost class.

No comments: