April 17, 2008

Ok not that great



I under engineered something. Not the first time and definitely not the last. I heard on some list or something that bronze bushings wear out in the dusty hight stress payout winch environment. But a cheap pulley that lent itself to my application was sitting on the local welding shops' shelf. So I figured I'd get two for when the bushing failed, I could then just replace it when it got loose. Don't be sucked into this mentality. They "wear out" with a catastrophic failure! Wednesday, Jason and I went out after work for some flying. I was doing a whip tow which involves paying out the line as fast as you can comfortably drive and when you run out of line you slow the truck and up the pressure till the line quits paying out and switch to a static tow. Unbeknown to me, the bushing had disintegrated and was wearing on the bolt holding it. The pulley heated to very hot state and upon stopping the drum, melted the line, causing 5000' of spectra to be dragged across hells half acre. End of the towing that day. These little things are the things that drive me nuts but as soon as they are all taken care of, it should be bullet proof.

No comments: