April 6, 2008

Testing one two....

Rounded up the guys and went and tested out the winch Friday. A few problems sprang up right away. Teflon makes a crappy line guide. It ate into the side of it and when it hit metal it started to chew up the side clamping the line in the guide. That led to over pressure and the pressure gage needle spun right around so I couldn't see it anymore. James didn't feel any of the problems and got the first tow to 2000' . I ran out of road but not line. Jason was set to arrive when he got off work so I called him and asked him to make up a new line guide when he came out. We waited for him to arrive, the wind shifted 180 degrees so we packed up and moved to the other end of the road. We set up his wing and put the new line guide on and tossed him on the winch. When James towed up it was slightly down wind which caused the line to be wrapped somewhat loose. When Jason hit 400' I heard a tell tale snap. I assumed it was a week link but I didn't see the pressure climb so I was somewhat puzzled. when I went to rewind the line there was none. The line had broken. My best guess is it got bound under a loop of loose line and rubbed itself through. I had to now try and find the broken end that was buried in the spool. It actually wasn't that hard to find. Today I found the end and spliced the line and got it all wrapped back on. I picked up a roller fair lead and mounted that instead of the teflon one. The other problem I need to address is I need more drag on rewind to get the line to wrap tighter. I'm thinking another round drogue chute attached to the parafoil should do it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that whole winch setup would work better on my Zamboni sawmill when I get it built. Hopefully before I die.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jason,
Yes to get more tension on rewind you need either, faster line speed, or larger shoot.
Theres always one or two issues that need addressing, but you seem to have it working none the less,
Congrates.
The world is a better place with another winch :<)
Ross