April 18, 2008

Yard maintenance



When I moved into this house 2 years ago the massive poplar tree in the back yard made me shudder. I could just imagine the boat load of leaves in the fall. That turned out to be not much of an issue as the wind here on the prairies blows the leaves in the neighbors yards. But in the spring the little brown sticky bud covers all fall off and litter the ground in a tar mat that ends up in the house. It had to go, and this year it was going. After my eyes settled back in my head from the quotes to remove it I selected a contractor and had it removed. I'm no stranger to tree removal but one of the three trunks leaned over the house which would have involved a crane. Counting up the hours of crane work and loads to the dump and time it was actually cheaper to hire someone.
The contractor was mad he under bid this job. It took 4 hours to get the tree down and just about 8 hours to grind the stump. It was a massive stump with roots all over the yard. My yard just grew exponentially.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

After the grandiosity of the Kootenays, that shore is a small yard...and hiring someone to cut a tree? Next is leisure suits, church on Sunday and crib night at the Legion....