March 15, 2008

Drilled aluminum

Did a little more work on the winch today. Drilled out the 24 holes in the drum sides. Welded the stand tube to the base and started to guess work on the line sensing pulley. I found a spring that expands to 8" from 4" at 50 lbs. I'll mount it to the arm the pulley is on so at 200 lbs line tension the spring will be extended just about fully. There's a little guess work involved because I have an idea of what I want in the end, and a bunch of steel and a welder laying on the floor waiting to be assembled. The stand tube is 2.5" heavy wall square tubbing and 5'6" tall. At the top will be the nose release. I would like to use a fixed release point and make all gliders that want to use my winch set a nose rope length suitable to their preferred angle of attack, But it makes set up a time consuming process. I'll likely just use the standard three string with a rope pull, it's easy.

No comments: