March 18, 2008

hubs

I welded the hubs that attach the hubs to the drum today, and got one bolted to the drum. I have to pick up a keyed shaft to bolt the other side on so I can line up the key ways straight. The "hubs" are a weld together chain gear and weld in hub that I drilled 4 holes in. The price is right compared to getting one spun on a lathe. I also picked up the brake rotor. On my original winch I went with the same rotor and caliper that I had on my truck (91 chev) just for the heck of it. I've heard of people having heating problems so I figured bigger wouldn't hurt. Because that winch was a wide drum with small diameter it took very little pressure to work. Now with going to a larger diameter the bigger brake will need more pressure to brake the same. I still will have more than enough brake. It worked well on the old winch so I'll give it a go on this one. Everything is going better than expected. I don't have much time to work on it but I squeeze a few minutes every day.

No comments: