March 23, 2008

Line Tension

Well I forgot the camera, but I did get the springs and line tension linkage done. It's going to be a foot round mechanically driven gage that you should be able to easily see from the rear view of the truck. It runs off the first pulley and has some push rods and linkages all running a giant line tension gage. The idea is to always know what the pilot is feeling at the end of the line.

I didn't get to the motor mounting yet but that is on the agenda for today. I'm running a small gas motor(2.5 hp) with a centrifugal clutch, belt driven to a 10' pulley on a jack shaft. On the shaft is a 4" pulley belt driven to the reel with a 16" pulley. This should keep the reel from spinning too fast and still have the motor wound up to fully engage the clutch, to combat over heating the clutch.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jason,
Hope you find your camera soon, ....
Actually, I am surprised your shoing photo's before the project has all the patteneds finalized.

Keep up the good work,
Ross

Jason Dyer said...

The idea is so anyone with a little metalworking skills can build their own, using mine as a guide. (assuming it works well and stays under budget)

I've just disassembled for painting so upon reassembly I'll take pictures. Pitty I didn't take more pictures in the design phase but a puzzled mug shot may have been 1/2 the pictures!